Friday, June 29, 2007

From grumpy girl to over the moon

Work has been out of control for the past while. Utterly completely crazy. The days where you get to work early in the morning (ok, maybe at 9am for me...), stay through lunch and dinner, and finally find your way home between 10pm and 1am in the morning. Ugh. On top of this, everyone keeps coming to you to solve problems (really, do they all need to come in the same week). The sole blessing is that I work with a group of extremely talented, wonderful people. But even that can sometimes not be enough to keep your chin up.

Wednesday I was a grumpy girl to say the least. G-R-U-M-P-Y. Nothing was flowing easily, the hours were long, and the deadlines two days away. S-T-R-E-S-S-F-U-L. And on top of that, we had a meeting with our architect to discuss some final details on the house. Did I really have time for it? No. Did I particularly look forward to going given everything else going on? No.

The good thing is that I have a husband who pushes me, even when I'm not sure that I want to be pushed. And he does it with a smile, even when there's clearly a grumpy girl looking back at him. I'll never figure out how he does this, but it is truly a skill... :)

We arrive at the architect to go through the final details...the layout of the backyard patio and pool. He pulls out two hand-drawn sketches and I'm thinking "you've pulled out someone else's plans...some very lucky someone at that". To my utter amazement, it was our proposed backyard.


It was as if angels started signing in the sky and the entire frustration of the day immediately flew out the door. Before he even had the chance to say "so here's what I was thinking...", I was proclaiming my absolute love for his vision. How can people do this? Where does this talent come from? It was stunning. In my wildest dreams, I could never have imagined anything as wonderful.


So there you go. We've always known that we had an extremely talented architect, but I didn't really that he actually had therapeutic qualities about him as well. :) An hour later I was bounding back through the doors at work, eager to finish our projects and have a laugh with our staff. Inspiration really can go a long way...

No comments: